Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Europe 2016, Day 7: Berlin to Prague

The journey to Prague didn't go quite as planned. Thunderstorms rolled through Germany the night before (including a doozy in Berlin late in the evening).  The storms caused a landslide onto the rail tracks in southern Germany, near the Czech border. So my train trip from Berlin ended in Dresden, Germany, instead of Prague.  In Dresden everyone on the train was herded onto buses. We were then bussed about 30 miles into the northern part of the Czech Republic where we caught another train that took us the rest of the way to Prague. The amazing thing was that we ended up arriving in Prague exactly on time!  I was impressed.
The weather in Prague upon my arrival on the afternoon of May 24 was gloomy when I took this panorama shot from my apartment's window.

Prague's Old Town Square: It rained lightly for much of the late afternoon, but by early evening the rain had ended.  I didn't know it at the time, but this was about as empty I would ever see Old Town Square.  For the rest of my time here, Old Time Square was packed with tourists. This panorama shows about half of the square's periphery.

No comments: