Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Europe 2016, Day 2: Amsterdam

Morning of May 19: One of many canal photos.

Near my apartment rental in the Jordaan Neighborhood: The Cow Museum. Just because...

During the late morning I toured the Anne Frank House, which was located just a few blocks from my apartment rental.  The tour was very informative and moving.  Photos were not allowed during the tour through the house, but I was able to take a photo while having lunch here in the museum's cafe. That's a photo of Anne Frank on the wall.

In the afternoon I toured the Rijksmuseum, an art museum with the best collection anywhere of the Dutch masters, including Vermeer and Rembrandt.

"The Milkmaid", 1658, Johannes Vermeer

Rembrandt's most famous painting: "The Night Watch", 1642

 "Jeremiah Lamenting the Destruction of Jerusalem", Rembrandt, 1630.  Rembrandt was only 24 when he painted this.

 Behind the Rijksmuseum, on the Museumplein, looking across the reflecting pool.

 I am Amsterdam!

 On my walk back from the museum, I had lunch near this beautiful canal.

 Enjoying an evening glass of wine in Dam Square with the Royal Palace in the background.

Nighttime canal picture with full moon.  I believe this is the Princess Canal (Prinsengracht). The towering spire of Westerkerk (Western Church, built in 1631) is at center. This was a big day of walking: 13.5 miles.

No comments: