Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Europe 2016, Day 3: Amsterdam

I spent a lot of time walking through the neighborhoods of Amsterdam on my final full day in the city (May 20)



At the "Hash, Marijuana, and Hemp Museum".  Ha!

A change of pace: Some modern architecture and art.

I spent the late afternoon and evening touring two fine art galleries, located next to each other on the Museumplein.  This photo was taken from the entrance of the modern art museum (Stedelijk Museum) looking towards the Van Gogh Museum.

View from in front of the Stedelijk Museum looking towards the Concergebouw (classical music venue)

The Stedelijk Museum at dusk. This museum had an eclectic mix of modern art, including a few Picassos.

Vincent van Gogh, "Self-Portrait with Straw Hat", 1887.  I toured the Van Gogh Museum during the evening since my guidebook informed me that crowds would be lighter then. The museum was packed.  I was scolded by a museum employee for taking this photo.  The other museums in Amsterdam allowed photos, but not the Van Gogh.

It was a fine warm evening as I took a leisurely stroll back from the museums.  Here is moonrise at the Mint Tower.  The Mint Tower marks the location of the limit of the old walled city, and severed as one of its original gates.

 Final stop at the Royal Palace.

No comments: